Hawks Women bounce back to winning ways

The Hawks travelled away to Blackheath for their last away game of the season. 

Having beaten Blackheath at home early in the season with a try bonus point, the Hawks were determined to come away with a minimum 4 points and get back to winning ways. 

The Hawks won the toss and opted to receive the kick off. Trying to build out of their half the Hawks attack looked panicked and not providing clear ball to play with. The Blackheath defence were quick and applying the pressure for the Hawks to make mistakes. 

Wheeler was back to stealing line out balls for fun and giving the Hawks a platform to play with. Strong running lines from Wilkie and Williams on the wings, but could not find a way through the opposition defence. 

The possession continued to exchange and Collins and Nash were leading the way with fantastic work rate and big hits. 

Wysocki-Jones was hitting the back of the line out perfectly allowing the backs to have quick ball. Again Wilkie was joining the line with great pace and making good ground. 

Despite the good phases of play HT 0-0. 

After the re-start the Hawks stole the ball and Collins made a great half break,  Davidson recycled the ball quickly allowing Dudding to slot the ball into the bottom corner, with Williams chasing she applied the pressure and the Blackheath winger panicked and kicked it out 5 meters from the try line. 

The Hawks secured the line out but the maul was stopped short of the whitewash. A switch in play saw fullback Thompson run hard in nearly making it over the line, however Blackheath did not release and the Hawks went for the line out again. A repeat performance to the line but this time the ref went between the posts for a penalty try. 0-7 Hawks.

The game plan was to now continue to turn the opposition and ensure play remained in their half. Dudding was controlling the game with her boot and sending the ball into space again into the corner where the Blackheath winger regained the ball but smashed into touch by Williams and Copley. Déjà vu for the Hawks as they set up for a catch and drive for Krabbé to peal off and score her debut try for Henley. 0-12 Hawks.

The reliable Wysocki-Jones was carrying well along with Barrett and Matthews. Wheeler and Craig were also making effective half breaks. 

Blackheath came back fighting and were really testing the Hawks defence. Discipline was letting the Hawks down as they began to give away penalties. The opposition scrum half put in a chip over the top and they managed to regain possession with quick hands down the back line their fullback crossed the line. 5-12 Hawks. 

The Hawks had to compose themselves and ensure they could finish the game without letting in anymore points. Substitutions had been made, including Kingman returning to the pitch after a shoulder injury put her out last season. 

A final push from Blackheath attacking into the Hawks 22 saw them shift the ball down the hands creating an overlap only for their winger to fumble the ball from the final pass. The knock on ended the game and the Hawks were relieved not to have conceded a soft try. 

Next week the Hawks host Waterloo in the final pool game in the National Senior Cup. They also have two home game left and look to secure their position as 3rd in the league.