Hawks sign off season in style

Henley Hawks 32 Redruth 26



Tries:  Parton 1, 42, Hyde 29, Awcock 68

Conversions: O’Neill 12, Butler 29, 42,

Penalties: Butler 12, 34



Tries: Buzza 40, Penalty 61, Nonu 66, Brown 75

Conversions: Rule 40, 61, 75

Attendance: 430

Referee: Ieuan Davies

Half-time: Henley 20 Redruth 7


By Nick Pitson

Henley Hawks finished off their National 2 (South) campaign on a positive note with another bonus point win, this time against Cornish side, Redruth.

Leading 27-7 just after half time, it looked like the Hawks would win at a canter as Redruth struggled to cope with the home sides’ intensity and speed of attack.

However, a combination of Henley’s ill discipline and Redruth starting to use their powerful forwards to dominate proceedings in the second half, almost proved costly for the Hawks but they eventually beat off the Cornishmen's challenge as both sides eventually scored four tries each.

Once again, the Hawks came storming out of the blocks and with many supporters still in the clubhouse, full back Tom Parton spotted a gap and outpaced the defence to score in the first minute of the game. Liam O’Neill converted.

Henley tried to play an expansive game at every opportunity and Redruth struggled to live with the speed and intensity of the Hawks play. Centres Liam O’Neill and Alan Awcock looked dangerous whenever they got the ball and class act Tom Parton showed why he has been involved with the England U20 squad. The forwards were used to good effect at close range with Dave Manning and Dave Clements to the fore. After another series of Henley attacks, Joe Butler extended the Hawks lead with a penalty.

Whenever Redruth had possession, they were under immense pressure and after a great turnover from Tom Hall, Liam O’Neill made a fine break but Alan Awcock just couldn't hang onto the final pass which would have resulted in another Hawks try.

After another good break from O’Neill, Dave Hyde broke through the Redruth defence to score under the posts, Butler converting.

A further penalty from Butler gave the Hawks a 20-0 lead just before Henley 2nd Row Jake Albion was given a yellow card for stopping a Redruth attack in front of his own posts. After a siege of the Henley line, Shaun Buzza eventually burrowed over for Redruth’s first try which full back Roger Rule converted to leave the score at 20-7 at the break

Tom Parton scored his second try of the game straight after the restart, again a classy move by outpacing the defence after scything through a gap in the Redruth defence. Butler converted. At 27-7, it looked like an easy afternoon for the Hawks.

Far from it. Redruth then began to use their larger forwards to good effect with a number of powerful driving mauls. Number 8 Kyle Marriott was at the centre of his sides dominance and there was also a good impact from the bench.

The driving maul became a real weapon for the visitors and they scored three tries during the second half using that ploy. Redruth were awarded a penalty try as the Hawks tried illegally to stop a drive launched from 40m out. Rule converted.

The Hawks looked ragged, were unable to keep the ball away from the visitors pack and began to give away a succession of penalties as the momentum began to swing in the visitors favour. Redruth employed the same tactic again shortly afterwards, this time the driving maul finished by Palepoi Nonu.

It looked as if The Cornishmen might complete an unlikely comeback but the Hawks eased their supporters worries and responded quickly with a fine try from Alan Awcock. Sam Portland fielded a loose Redruth clearance and gave the ball to Awcock who used his pace and strength to beat off a number of tacklers to score in the corner from some 40m out.

Back came Redruth, with another driving maul to gain a bonus point of their own. Henley’s Jake Albon was red carded for a second yellow card and the Reds Richard Brown led the Cornishmen’s drive to score. Rule converted.

With visitors within one score of the Hawks, a tense finish was anticipated but an attacking Redruth line out was brilliantly stolen by Henley’s Dave Hyde. The ball was cleared and he referee bought the season to a close.

  1. Jim Hadfield
  2. Tom Emery
  3. Dave Manning
  4. David Clements
  5. Jake Albon
  6. David Hyde
  7. Tom Hall
  8. Marcus Lowe
  9. Harry Burn
  10. Joe Butler
  11. Sam Portland
  12. Liam O Neill
  13. Alan Awcock
  14. Xavier Andre
  15. Tom Parton


  1. Brad Cooke (for Hadfield) 31 mins
  2. George Lane ( not used)
  3. Scott White (for Hall) 58 mins
  4. Tom Gardner (for Parton) 61 mins
  5. Simon Perry (not used)