Clinical Hawks soar past Raiders

Henley Hawks 43-28 Worthing Raiders

A brace of tries each for Tom Emery, David Hyde and Xavier Andre saw the Hawks power to a 43-28 win over Worthing Raiders at Dry Leas.

Despite a scrappy first ten minutes, the game exploded into life when Emery crashed over for the Hawks following an excellent driving maul. The home side were now building in confidence and some superb handling saw Hyde go over after 21 minutes. The ever-present flanker scored again two minutes later following more patient build-up work. The game was all but over four minutes later when Hawks fullback, Jack Robinson broke away to score an excellent individual try and secure a try bonus point for the home side. Worthing finally got on the scoresheet on the half hour mark with tighthead, Dan Sargent powering over from close range.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first until a Xavier Andre try, which looked very much like there was a forward pass in the build-up, put the Hawks further in front. The away side came storming back with Raiders captain, Liam Perkins and then centre Jonathan Dawe going over in quick succession which brought the game back within 10 points. However, any hope of a Raiders comeback quickly evaporated when Worthing were reduced to 14 men and Tom Emery went over again in the corner. The game wasn’t finished, another Andre try for the hosts was followed by a fourth try from fly-half, Matt McLean and a bonus point for the Raiders in injury time.

All in all, a convincing victory for the Hawks which has seen them really grow in confidence over the past month. Next up is a trip to London Irish Wild Geese this Saturday, December 16th, kick-off 3pm before the biggest game of the season at home to local rivals, Chinnor on Saturday, December 23rd. 

Big thanks to Match Sponsors, GD Evans Interiors Ltd for their support and to everyone who braved the cold weather to watch an entertaining game of rugby. 


Tries: Emery 10, 76 Hyde 21, 24, Robinson 28, Andre 47, 78                                                                

Conversions: Jackson 10, 24, 47, 78


Tries: Sargent 33, Perkins 65, Dawe 72, McLean

Conversions: McLean 33, 65, 72, 80

Attendance: 320
Referee: Andrew MacNeaney
Half-time: 24-7

Man of the Match: Jack Robinson 

Hawks: Cook (Primett 71), Emery, Primett (Morris 48), Clements, Albon (capt.), Hyde, Haynes, Lowe, Jackson, Butler, Portland, Perry (O’Neill 60), Awcock, Andre (McRae 60), Robinson

Replacements: Morris, Wunder, Tibbatts, O’Neill, McRae

Worthing: Head (Ajayi 22), Luke, Sargent (Gearing-Grief 41), Lee, Lake, Price, Whittall, Perkins, Peach, McLean, Boyland, Forrest, Dawe, Miller, Hampson

Replacements: Gearing-Grief, Ajayi, Redmayne, Litterick, Sanderson

Pictures courtesy of Steve Karpa;