Hawks Women triumph over Blackheath

Hawks Women 29 Blackheath Women 5

The Hawks were hosts at Dry Leas for only the second time this season against newly promoted Blackheath. Anne Wheeler ran the home side out for her 100th cap.

With perfect conditions and winning the toss the Hawks started with strong conviction and intensity working their way into Blackheath’s half. An early line out in the opponents 22 gave the forwards the opportunity to catch and drive setting a good platform for the backs to have an attack. Hearn broke the line to offload to Dudding who unfortunately lost control of the ball over the Line. 

The Hawks defended well and Blackheath could not find a way through. Out of ideas they had no choice but to kick which was charged down by Solowin for Hearn to quickly react and touchdown over the whitewash. Humphrey’s converted 7-0. 

From the restart henley earned their way back up the pitch. Solid control at the break down and strong forward runs from Barrett, Wysocki-Jones and Wheeler allowed perfect platform for the backs, Dudding dummied and found a hole to run in for the Hawks second try. Conversion unsuccessful 12-0. 

Poor discipline by Henley allowed Blackheath into the 22. The Hawks were defending well with quick line speed from Timmins and Balmer sending the Blackheath attack backwards. Some silly mistakes from Henley allowed visiting side to opt for scrums, the only area that they were dominating in. 

With the last play of the half the hawks won a penalty. Unfortunately the ball did not go dead and allowed the Blackheath winger to have an attack and secure a pentaly meters from the line. Opting for the scrum again they drove Henley over the line. Half time 12-5. 

Henley started well and managed to keep their opponents in their own half for the rest of the game. The Hawks again we’re making too many errors and the penalty count was rising. 

The Hawks needed to regroup and begin playing the structure led Rugby they had in the first half. Subsitutions Krabbé and Collins  with fresh legs lead the defence and put in some big hits. This lifted the home side and

solid runs by all forward built the platform for the backs. A quick tap penalty saw the ball go through the hands to get wide for Humphreys to finish strongly in the corner. 17-5. 

The Hawks were dominating all over the pitch. Playing good rugby the were back in the opponents 22. Another penalty was well executed and safe hands saw Humphreys with the ball again and with a bit more work to do she went over for her second of the day. 22-5

With minutes on the clock The Hawks were hunting for the try bonus point. The rest of the substitutions coming off the bench making a huge impact. Blackheath not giving up, made a break down the wing, Solowin making a fantastic cover tackle only to get back to her feet and blasting the ruck to win the ball. This allowed quick reactions from Collins to pick and put Wheeler into space for a 50metre run, beating the fullback she went over the line to secure the bonus point on her 100th cap. Successful conversion 29-5

Coaches player went to Davidson for her fantastic defence and dictatorship. Players player went to Solowin for her pure work rate around the park. 

Next match see the Hawks take on Sheffield in the cup at home on 19th. 

Team: Barrett (Davies), Sealey (Krabbé), Matthews, Ashman (Collins),Wysocki-Jones, Balmer, Timmins (Simpson), Wheeler, Davidson, Dudding (Craig), Williams (Copley), Hearn, Solowin, Humphreys (Wilkie), Moody.